Tuesday 7 September 2010

Pumpkin bread


Nope, its not yet thanksgiving but there's always no harm in making some yummylicious pumpkin bread, which is exactly what I did last weekend. This bread has a beautiful golden crumb that somehow reminds me of bright sunny days. I love its slightly sweet taste and soft crust... not to mention its a healthy choice!


Recipe below is adapted from Bread by Eric Treuille & Ursula Ferrigno. It makes a tiny loaf that's just nice for 2 of us at home. You can double the recipe if you prefer a full 500g loaf.

Ingredients:
- 150g pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp honey
- 250g white bread flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp milk for glazing
- nuts or seeds of choice for sprinkling on top

Method:
Sprinkle yeast into 60ml of water. Leave for 5 minutes, add honey and stir to dissolve. Mix flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture followed by pumpkin puree. Gradually mix in the flour to form a fairly firm, coarse, sticky dough. If its too dry, add a few tablespoons of water. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead till smooth, silky and elastic, about 10 minutes. Put the dough into a clean bowl and cover with a tea towel. Leave to rise until double in size, about 1.5 hours. Knock back, then leave to rest for 10 minutes. Shape dough into a round loaf. Place on an oiled baking sheet and cover with a tea towel. Prove until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Brush the dough with milk glaze and sprinkle with nuts or seeds of choice. Bake in preheated 220 C oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden and hollow sounding when tapped underneath. Leave to cool on wire rack.




7 comments:

  1. Your bread looks amazing!! When I think of pumpkin bread I think of the one baked as a loaf and doesn't have yeast. This is a nice change to those recipes!
    Would you mind checking out my blog? :D ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous loaf of bread! I make tons of pumpkin quick bread during the fall, but have yet to try a yeasted pumpkin bread. I must try it this coming season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found my first farmer's market winter squash this season and thus have declared it pumpkin time! I love the looks of this loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great!!! ... never had pumpkin bread before will definately have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all! I've quite a bit of pumpkin puree left so am thinking of all sorts of pumpkin related recipe now!! =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let England Shake21 January 2012 at 22:16

    I just made this and I'm very happy with it! Especially since it is the first bread I have ever attempted :) Thanks for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails